Video interviews are a great tool for both the recruiter and also for you as a candidate once you approach it with the right mindset.
In Musgrave, we use video interviews to get an insight into who you are and to find out why you want to join our grad programme. The online platform we use allows you the flexibility of completing the interview at a time that suits you and you can do it from the comfort of your own home. Sounds great, right? So why do you get that sinking feeling at the thought of speaking to a camera? We’re making our process as transparent as possible so you know what to expect.
What to Expect
You’ll be given the log-in details and the deadline information in the invitation email. Once you log in you’ll have instructions on how to launch the questions. You will have an opportunity to do a trial-run before starting the interview proper so do take advantage of this. Check your camera and microphone are working correctly at this point. You won’t have an actual person on the screen in front of you and it can be useful to practice speaking to a screen without receiving a response.
You will have only one opportunity to respond to the actual interview questions so make sure you are prepared and in a quiet area before you start.
You will be asked to respond to three questions. You’ll have 40 seconds to prepare for each question. You will then have between 60-90 seconds to record your answer. Make sure you follow the instructions to fully submit your responses.
If you are invited to complete a video interview for our Graduate Programme, you will have a certain window of time in which you can complete it. This will be outlined in the invitation email. You can complete the video interview at any point during the time allowed, however do make sure you complete it before the deadline as otherwise we won’t be able to progress your application any further. And we’d hate you to miss out because you didn’t check the deadline!
Our Top Tips
- Prepare as you would do for an interview. Be ready to talk about yourself, about the retail and wholesale industry and about how you see yourself in the role in Musgrave.
- Remember we will see you and part of your room background on screen so what impression do you want to give us?
- Ensure you have good internet connectivity.
- Make sure you won’t be disturbed by anyone or distracted while you’re taking the interview. Set time aside in a quiet place.
- Make the most of the time allowed to answer the questions, 60 seconds may seem like a short time but unfortunately sometimes people stop talking at 30 seconds. This is your opportunity to show us your interest in the role so take full advantage of it
- Take a deep breath before answering, smile and remember the end goal!